The Art of Student Shopping


Hi Everyone,

Welcome to my first blog post, hopefully many of you will be able to relate to the pressures of a student budget, but if not, I'm sure you can take away some useful cooking tips.

I love eating and cooking, however making healthy, tasty meals comes at a cost! Since starting University, I have learnt to adapt my eating and shopping to keep within my student budget. Here are my first 2 tips for good food on a budget...


1. Shop Smart 

One of the first harsh realities I discovered as a student was I couldn't afford my families weekly Sainsbury's shop. Students aren’t made of money, so my first advice is to locate your nearest cheaper supermarkets, like Aldi and Lidl. They offer non-branded products, for a fraction of the prices at bigger supermarkets. 



At first, I was sceptical about the quality and taste of some of the alternatives, being somewhat of a food snob, but I'm glad to say I have been pleasantly surprised!

Another great place to grab some bargains are supermarket reduced sections.




Again, I was sceptical, however after shopping around and perfecting my timing, I've snapped up some excellent quality food that will still last a few days. Don't be afraid of sell-by dates, most foods usually last longer than you'd expect!

Top tip: Don’t forget the longest sell-by dates are at the back of the shelf, so keep digging!


2. Only buy what you need

In first year, I got into a bad habit of doing big shops regularly, which often resulted in throwing food out. Nobody gets their budget right first time! A good way to avoid over buying and spending is planning. Look at recipes and make lists, then you’ll avoid buying unnecessary amounts. Remember you're only 1 person! 

Top tip: Never go shopping on an empty stomach. 

If you want to hear more shopping and cooking hacks, stay tuned for next time!


Thanks for reading.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Places to eat in Glasgow

In a hurry?